Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Loss of Community?

This morning when I was driving to Carroll I passed my neighbor and we waved to each other. That got me thinking. I realized that in our neighborhood each house is like its own individual island. No one really talks to their neighbors all that often, let alone actually invites them to a party or something. I think American communities have come to a really sad situation. I know that not all neighborhoods are that way; some still have block parties and get togethers quite often. But in my neck of the woods, we all seem so isolated. I think that's what the internet has done to us. We get so caught up in our own lives and in news from faraway places that we don't even speak to the people who live right next to us. I mourn the loss of community that everyone used to share. Maybe someday we will abandon this isolation but I doubt it.

No comments: