Saturday, September 22, 2007

Abandoning the Structure

While writing my first draft, I realized the extent to which the typical structure of an essay (intro, 3 body paragraphs, & conclusion) has been beaten into my head. I constantly have this urge to divide my body paragraphs into three topics and three topics only. Then I realize that I’m finally allowed to break free of that specific structure. I can write four body paragraphs or five or six even. I am not used to freedom when it comes to essays. It’s definitely going to take some time before I feel completely comfortable with this new found independence. Old habits truly die hard. That’s what I love most about this class: The topics are broad and a specific construction isn’t enforced. I can choose what I really want to write about and how I want to write it. This class will give me the chance to not only improve my writing skills, but it will also help me create my own personal style and methods. By examining other authors’ materials I can more easily determine what I like about each and what I might choose to emulate. I’m pretty sure this will be my toughest course this semester but I have a feeling I learn the most from it.

No comments: