Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Life in the City

This past weekend I discovered that I could never live the life of a "country girl." My parents and I went up to the Warrens Cranfest in central Wisconsin. It's a town of approximately 300. The three-day Cranfest is their liveliest time of each year. Simply spending a day in that small of a town made me realize how much I appreciate the city. Living in a place where there's not even a movie theater or fast food restaurant would drive me completely 100% insane. I thrive on movement and action. I need to hear an occasional ambulance or fire truck. The silence of the country would suffocate me. I'm sure after quite some time I would get used to it but I have a feeling it would take a really really long time. Don't get me wrong, a vacation to the lake every few years is fine. I can appreciate the quiet and lack of activity for a week or so but permanently moving out there isn't my idea of a good time. Living in the country, I'd feel completely shut off and isolated from the rest of the world. An internet connection and a television definitely wouldn't cut it. I need the bustle that defines a city.

No comments: